The Benefits of Modern Landscape Design
If you are a person who believes “less is more,” then a modern landscaping style for your home may exactly what you are looking for.
But let’s back up a minute. You may wonder why you should landscape at all.
For most homeowners, interior design gets a lot of attention when it comes to creating luxurious living spaces. But equally important is landscape design
The Benefits of Landscape Design
If you’re on the fence about upgrading your home’s yard, here are a few reasons why it is always a wise choice.
- Impression. Landscaping your property is an opportunity to make your home stand out from the rest. Enjoy the pride of seeing your home every time you drive up the street.
- Curb Appeal. Well-kept lawns, gardens, and plantings are not only pleasing to live in, but also essential if you ever plan to sell your home.
- Better Views. The benefits of landscape design can be felt just as much inside the home as outside. Even when you’re indoors, having an appealing outdoor space can help you feel relaxed and connected to nature.
- Improved Outdoor Living. A home’s well-designed landscape will entice you and your family to go outside. You can create fabulous spaces for entertaining, playing, or simply finding a peaceful hideaway no matter what your style.
- Increase Property Value. Landscaping is one of the few home improvements you can make that not only adds value immediately, but also increases in value as the years go by. Data shows that well-landscaped homes can increase property value 5 percent to 12 percent more, depending on where you live.
There is no doubt that investing in landscape design is money well spent.
Why Would You Want to Go Modern?
There are many, many ways to construct your outdoor space. One of the most popular is the modern style.
Uncluttered and designed with clean edges defines modern landscaping. It is a great fit for a property with a contemporary home, but it is also a popular contrast to a more traditional style. In other words, a modern landscape can work for just about any property.
What Is A Modern Landscape?
A "modern" garden can be so many different things, but there are some basic components that define it.
Designing a modern landscape plan has as much more to do with materials than it does with the plants and flowers. No matter which items you choose, think of their placement in terms of rectangles and squares. Curves don’t work and wandering pathways don’t match the modern landscape style.
For the most part, modern landscaping features these specific elements:
- Design. One of the primary characteristics is clean lines created by hardscape and a focus on minimalism. Hardscape is literally the hard stuff in your yard like concrete, gravel, cement, and stone. And a minimalist garden uses a limited number of items in the design.
- Color. Usually, there is a limited use of color, focusing more on neutrals and pale hues in the modern design.
- Materials. Concrete paths, patios, pavers, and planters that are evenly balanced are a central feature. You’ll also find accents and small touches of wood or metal.
- Low Maintenance. One of the best things about creating a modern look is that it is simple to maintain. This design style will spruce up your backyard and let you spend more time enjoying it, not just working on it. The easy care is perfect for people who have a very busy lifestyle, but still want a great looking yard.
- Outdoor Seating. Modern landscape design is especially popular in warm climates because it lends itself well to open spaces. If you plan to use seating outside in your modern landscaping, keep in mind that the geometry rule applies. That means you will want to focus on simple shapes like square chairs and rectangle tables.
- Dramatic Additions. Water features from a simple fountain to basic-shaped infinity pool will enhance any modern design with something special. And consider large boulder accents that create drama and require virtually no upkeep. The best choices are those items that create a simple and clean symmetrical design.
- Grassy Lawns. A traditional landscape has the always green and lush lawn as its centerpiece. For the most part, grass is only used as an accent between pavers or in small patches in a modern design. Yes, a lawn can have a place, but is more of an accent and will not be larger than absolutely necessary.
- Plants. But fear not! Plants and flowers can be used to soften the hard edges of the modern landscape. These pops of green and other colors are found in neat rows or a pair flanking the front door.
Plants that Can Make a Modern Design Pop
When it’s time to include plants and shrubs, the trick is to use pale colors and plants with a structured appearance. Wild, fussy, and wooly shrubs, wandering vines, and flowering shrubs just don’t fit the modern style.
So, stick with just one or two types of plants, which is a key element of every modern landscape plan. Plants with a distinct shape such as Japanese boxwoods, bamboo, and foxtail ferns are popular choices and easy-to-maintain.
How to Build Your Dream Yard
If you are overwhelmed or confused about how to get started on the ideal modern landscape style for your home, then it’s time to reach out for some help. For expert advice and experienced professionals, your best choice is Shrubhub. There has never been a design service so qualified or affordable!
ShrubHub can transform your yard into a spectacular modern landscape and create the outdoor space of your dreams. As a premier online landscape service, Shrubhub brings inspiration, convenience, and expertise when modern landscaping is your goal. They are specialists in customizing plants, shrubs, and flowers to fit your every need.
ShrubHub’s complete service gives you access to shop their exclusive nursery, a detailed personalized shopping list, door-to-door shipping, and guarantees your satisfaction. ShrubHub will be by your side every step of the way.